Kovakkai Fry is a simple and easy stir fry recipe made with ivy gourd or also known as tindora. Lets have a look at the recipe.
For Masala Paste:
- ¾ cup coconut, grated
- 1 tsp mustard
- 5 dried red chilli
- 3 tsp oil
- ¾ tsp mustard
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 dried red chilli
- few curry leaves
- 3 cup thondekai / tindora / ivy gourd, sliced
- ½ cup cashew / kaju, soaked
- 1 tsp jaggery
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup water
How to make Kovakkai Fry
- firstly, prepare masala by taking ¾ cup coconut, 1 tsp mustard and 5 dried red chilli.
- blend to coarse masala paste without adding any water.
- in a large kadai heat 3 tsp oil and splutter ¾ tsp mustard, 1 tsp urad dal, 1 tsp chana dal, 1 dried red chilli and few curry leaves.
- add 3 cup sliced thondekai, ½ cup cashew and stir fry for a minute.
- further add 1 tsp jaggery, ½ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp salt and mix well.
- additionally add ¼ cup water, cover and cook for 10 minutes on low to medium.
- cook until tindora is cooked well yet retain its shape.
- add in the prepared masala paste and mix well.
- mix until the masala is coated well.
- finally, enjoy thondekai palya with hot steamed rice.
Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright