Gingersnap Delights: Celebrating National Gingersnap Day with a Homemade Cookie Recipe
National Gingersnap Day is a food holiday celebrated on July 1st each year. It is a day dedicated to honoring and indulging in delicious gingersnap cookies. Gingersnaps are a type of spicy cookie that is characterized by their rich flavor of ginger, molasses, and various spices.
Here’s a recipe to make gingersnap cookies at home:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and 1 cup of granulated sugar until light and fluffy. You can use an electric mixer or do it by hand.
- Add the molasses and egg to the butter-sugar mixture, and mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing well after each addition. The dough will be thick and slightly sticky.
- Shape the dough into small balls, approximately 1 inch in diameter. Roll each ball in the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to coat it.
- Place the coated dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between each cookie as they will spread during baking.
- Bake the gingersnap cookies in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are set and the tops are cracked.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool on the sheet for a few minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, store the gingersnap cookies in an airtight container to maintain their freshness.
Enjoy your homemade gingersnap cookies on National Gingersnap Day or any time you crave a deliciously spiced treat!
Picture Courtesy: Google/Images are subject to copyright