Badam Puri an authentic and traditional south indian dessert recipe made with plain flour, almonds and sugar syrup. Lets have a look at the recipe.
For Badam Paste:
- 15 badam / almond
- 1 cup hot water, for soaking
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ cup maida / plain flour
- 2 tbsp rava / semolina / suji, fine
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ghee/ clarified butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 11 clove / lavang
- oil for frying
For Sugar Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- few thread saffron / kesar
- few drops lemon juice
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
How to make Badam Puri
Badam Paste Preparation:
- firstly, soak 15 badam in 1 cup hot water for 30 minutes.
- peel the skin of badam and transfer to the blender.
- blend to smooth paste adding ¼ cup water. keep aside.
- in a large bowl take 1½ cup maida, 2 tbsp rava, ¼ tsp baking powder, 1 tsp sugar and ¼ tsp salt. mix well.
- now add 2 tbsp ghee and crumble and mix well making sure to form a moist flour.
- further, add prepared badam paste and ¼ cup milk.
- knead the dough well-adding milk if required.
- knead to a smooth and tight dough.
- grease oil, cover and rest for 10 minutes.
Sugar Syrup Preparation:
- firstly, in a large vessel take 1 cup sugar, ½ cup water and few thread saffron.
- mix well until the sugar dissolves.
- boil for 3 minutes or until sugar syrup attains 1 string consistency.
- add few drops of lemon juice and ¼ tsp cardamom powder.
- mix well, cover and keep sugar syrup aside.
Badam Puri Preparation:
- knead the dough again making sure the dough is smooth.
- pinch a ball sized dough and grease with oil.
- roll gently to slightly thick puri.
- spread ¼ tsp ghee and fold half and again spread ghee and fold triangle.
- roll gently to flatten the layers.
- prick a lavang making sure all layers are intact.
- drop the badam puri in medium hot oil.
- fry on low flame stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
- keeping the flame on low fry until the puri turns golden and crisp.
- drain off the puri taking off excess oil.
- drop the puri into warm sugar syrup dipping it completely.
- allow it soak for 3 minutes or if you prefer more sweetness then soak for 10 minutes.
- finally, enjoy badam puri topped with coconut and badam milk.
Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright