Kite string slit a man’s throat on a Delhi flyover
A biker was killed in a terrible incident in the nation’s capital when a glass-coated kite string, also known as Chinese manjha, slashed his throat as he was travelling to his sister’s house for Rakhi.
The glass-coated strings, which have been involved in multiple accidents in the past, are no longer extensively utilised in Delhi as of 2016. This menace has already resulted in two deaths in Delhi this month. Vipin Kumar, 35, of Rajdhani Park in Nagloi was travelling to Loni to visit his sister to celebrate Raksha Bandhan. The piercing string struck him in the neck as he was riding his bicycle on the Shastri Park overpass with his wife following behind.
His wife managed to get him to the trauma centre at Civil Lines with assistance from those surrounding her, where the medical staff immediately proclaimed him dead. The body has been sent for a post-mortem, and the matter is being looked into, according to the police.
The National Green Tribunal’s prohibition on the sale of Chinese synthetic manjha used for kite flying was implemented earlier this month, and the Delhi High Court directed the city police to tell it of the efforts taken to implement the restriction. The court was considering a PIL that asked for a complete ban on kite flying, sales, purchases, storage, and transit due to the high number of incidents involving birds and humans that are brought on by glass-coated strings.
Chinese “manjha” refers to strings that are a favourite among kite flyers and are covered in finely crushed metal or glass. After two toddlers, ages three and four, died in separate accidents on July 4, 2016, the Delhi government outlawed the Chinese manja.
According to the authorities, the deadly threads sliced the children’s throats while they were peering out of the sunroofs of the vehicles they were riding in.
Picture courtesy: google/images are subject to copyright