From Rani to Padmaavat: Empowering Women on the Silver Screen in Indian Cinema
In India, movies have always been a powerful medium for storytelling and entertainment. However, in recent years, there has been a shift towards making more female-led movies that showcase the strength, resilience, and courage of women. Here are some of the most empowering, female-led Indian movies that celebrate womanhood:
- Queen (2013): Queen is a coming-of-age story that revolves around Rani, a timid young woman from Delhi who goes on her honeymoon alone after her fiancé cancels their wedding. The movie is a celebration of female empowerment and self-discovery as Rani embarks on a journey of self-discovery and learns to love and appreciate herself.
- Mardaani (2014): Mardaani is a crime thriller that features Rani Mukerji as Shivani Shivaji Roy, a tough and fearless police officer who takes on a powerful human trafficking racket in Mumbai. The movie showcases the grit and determination of a woman who refuses to back down in the face of adversity and fights for justice.
- Neerja (2016): Neerja is a biographical thriller that tells the story of Neerja Bhanot, a flight attendant who saved the lives of 359 passengers on board a hijacked flight. The movie celebrates the courage and selflessness of a young woman who puts the safety of others before her own and becomes a symbol of hope and inspiration.
- Pink (2016): Pink is a courtroom drama that addresses issues of consent and victim-blaming in Indian society. The movie features Taapsee Pannu as Minal Arora, a young woman who is falsely accused of attempted murder. The movie celebrates the strength and resilience of women who stand up for their rights and fight against injustice.
- Padmaavat (2018): Padmaavat is a historical drama that tells the story of Rani Padmavati, a legendary queen of Mewar who chooses self-immolation over surrendering to the Sultan of Delhi. The movie celebrates the courage and sacrifice of a woman who remains steadfast in her beliefs and values, even in the face of grave danger.
These movies are just a few examples of the many empowering, female-led Indian movies that celebrate womanhood. They showcase the strength, resilience, and courage of women and serve as a source of inspiration and motivation for audiences around the world.
Picture Courtesy: Google/images are subject to copyright