Adult adoption, also known as voluntary adoption, is a legal process where one adult adopts another adult who is not related to them. While it may seem unusual, adult adoption is becoming increasingly common for various reasons. In this blog post, we’ll explore some of the reasons why adults may choose to adopt other adults.
- To Formalize a Relationship: One of the most common reasons for adult adoption is to formalize an existing relationship. For example, a step-parent may choose to adopt their adult stepchild to legally solidify their relationship, particularly if they have been in the child’s life for a long time.
- Inheritance and Estate Planning: Another reason why adults may adopt other adults is to ensure inheritance and estate planning. Adult adoption can make it easier for an individual to transfer their assets to their adopted adult, particularly if they don’t have any other immediate family members to leave their estate to.
- Emotional Support: Some individuals may choose to adopt other adults as a way of providing emotional support. For example, an older adult who is without children may choose to adopt a younger adult who can provide companionship and care as they age.
- Immigration: Adult adoption may also be used as a way to obtain citizenship or permanent residency status in certain countries. In some cases, an individual may choose to adopt a foreign-born adult who is living in the same country as a way of providing them with a legal path to citizenship.
- Inheritance of a Family Business: Adult adoption may also be used as a way to ensure the inheritance of a family business. By adopting a trusted employee or business partner, an individual can ensure that their business legacy is carried on after their death.
In conclusion, adult adoption can serve many purposes, from legalizing existing relationships to inheritance and estate planning. While it may seem unconventional, adult adoption can provide individuals with a sense of security and peace of mind, knowing that they have legally solidified their chosen relationships.