Dr. Sumitha answers…
- What is the reason for bloating before the periods?
The main reason for bloating just prior to periods is mainly due to water retention caused due to increase in oestrogen and progesterone in the body.
- Is it safe to consume over the counter drugs during pregnancy?
The first three months of pregnancy is very crucial as this is the time when all the organs of the fetus is developing. So any drug that is consumed has to be under medical supervision.
- Is it safe to continue exercising and working during pregnancy?
There are numerous merits to exercises during pregnancy. But prior to the start of any exercise, the advice of your consultant obstetrician has to be obtained to rule out any risk factors associated with the current pregnancy. Pelvic floor exercises and deep breathing exercises are good to maintain the strength and tone of the pelvic floor muscles and to relax during pregnancy respectively.
- I’m 22 and I have been on the birth control pill to regulate my sporadic period since I was 17. However, for the past month I have had unusual vaginal dryness and a noticeably decreased libido. Any idea as to why this would happen to me?
Vaginal dryness and decreased libido is mainly due to diminished oestrogen and progesterone in the body. If you are having these symptoms it is advisable to stop the medication after consultation with your gynecologist.
- I had an episiotomy during the delivery of my 10-month-old. I am still feeling pain in that area at some times — is this normal?
Usually episiotomy is well healed by this time and the pain you are experiencing could be due to some other cause. You need to consult your gynecologist for a thorough examination.