Kochi The Queen Of Arabian Sea – “ 26 GOLDEN SPOT OF KOCHI ”
The Kochi landscape is dotted with sights and smells which have enticed friends from afar all these years. Here’s a small list of must see sights, the memories of which will haunt tourists for years to come.
Bastion Bungalow: Built in the Indo – European style way back in 1667 AD , Bastion Bungalow get its name from its location on the site of the Stromberg Bastion of old Dutch port (Ernakulam)
Bhoothathankettu : The scentic dam site with boating facilities is situated in the midst of a vast vergin forest. It is a popular picnic spot with Salim Ali bird sanctuary near by .
Bolghatty Palace : Bolghatti Palace was built by the Dutch in 1744. Later it became the seat of the British Resident of Kochin. Today it is a Hotel run by KTDC. The grounds have a small golf cource and several vantage points for lovely views of the harbour and the sea.
Chendamangalam : This land was once the above of the Paliyath Achans, the prime ministers of the Maharajas of Kochi .Their residence, the Paliam Palace represents the architectural splendour of Kerala .The Palace houses a collection of historic documents and relics
Cherai Beach : Cherai Beach offers a unique combination of sea and backwaters rimmed by lush green coconut palms.
Children’s Park : A high-tech Children’s Park with Non-conventional Energy Museum and Musical Fountain. The Children enjoy a lot with the facilities available here .
Chinese fishing nets : A legacy of the trading connections between China and India many centuries ago . The long rows of Chinese nets silhouetted against the sunset present a spectacular sight of Cochin’s water front
Chottanikkara Temple : Mother Goddess worshiped in three different forms – as Sarawathy in the morning – draped in White, as Bhadrakali at noon- draped in Crimson, as as Lakshmi in the evening decked in Blue.
Dutch Palace : Dutch Palace or Mattancherry Palace was originally built by the Portuguese and presented to the Raja of Kochi, Veera Kerala Varma in 1555 it was later taken over by the Dutch who improved it through extensions and repairs in 1663
Hill Palace : The largest archaeological museum of Kerala. Paintings, carvings, etchings and other trappings of royalty like majestic beds, weapons and samples of epigraphy .
Historical Museum : Important scenes of Kerala history are portrayed through Sculptures . Greeting the visitor outside is a statue of Parasurama , the mythological sage who is said to have created Kerala .
Iringole forest temple : Iringole kavu , a temple in tropical rain forest in the middle of the town.
Jewish Synagogue : The Synagogue at Mattancherry Built in1568 is the oldest Synagogue in the common wealth Countries.It was partially destroyed in the war of 1662,but was rebuilt by the Dutch.In the mid 18th century the clock tower was added.
Kalady : Kalady is the birth place of Adi Shankaracharya the great Indian Philosopher who lived in the 8th century. Two shrines in memory of Shankaracharya – one for Dakshinamoorthy and other for the Goddes Sharada.
Kallil Temple : A9th century Jain templ shaped out from a huge rock on a small hill in a picturesque surrounding . The visitor has to climb 120 steps to reach this rare historis temple
Kanjiramattom Mosque : It is believed that the mosque was erected over the mortal remains of a Muslim saint , baver is supposed to have prayed here and attained Salvation .
Kodanadu : One of the largest elephant capturing centers of South India. In 1977 elephant capturing came to an end, but the elephant kraal and training centre sare still intact.
Kottayil Kovilakom : Kottayil Kovilakam at Chennamangalam, which was the seat of Kshathriya, chief taince of Villarvattom is situated near the ancient Kunnathali Temple . Chennamangalam is an important centre of handloom weaving and coir manufacturing.
Malayattor : A place of prayer and pilgrimage made rich by the footsteps of St. Thomas the Apostle, who sowed the seeds of Christianity in this part of the world.
Marine Drive : Marine Drive is considered to be one the most beautiful parts of Kochi city. The Marine walk is the main hang out for the local populace as the view of the back waters and the harbour from here is excellent.
Pallipuram Fort: Pallipuram Fort was built by the Portuguese in 1503. It is one of the oldest existing European monuments in India. The Dutch captured the for in 1661 and sold it to the State of Travancore in 1789.
Parikshit Thampuran Museum : This Museum features collection of 19 th century paintings, pre- historic monuments, old coins in a numismatic gallery, scriptures in stone and plaster of paris ,copies of mural paintings etc and the collection from the Cochin Royal family.
Santa Cruz Bascillica : This Roman Catholic church is situated near the St. Francis Church and is worth a visit. It is a specimen of Portuguese architecture built in 1503. Frescoes and mural paintings decorate the ceiling and interior parts of the church.
St. Francis Church : The first European Church in India . Orginally built in wood and named Santo Antonio in the 16 th centuary. Vasco da Gama was buried here in 1524.
Thrikkakara Temple: The “Vamana moorthy” temple has notable inscription dating back to the 10th – 13 th centuary.
Willington Island : A man made Island named after Lord Willington a former British Viceroy to India .Cochin Harbour ,Southern Naval Command ,Best hotels in the city ,Port Trust head quarters ,major trading centres etc. are situated at Willington Island .
Photo Courtesy : Google/ images are subject to copyright